So I work for a company that writes PHP code. For all of those out there that may apply, I would like to share some thoughts about managing software.
Programmers are supposed to be smart:
Our glorious leader is one of those types that it is my way or the highway attitudes. When half of the programmers said something against one of the programming standards we had, he did not listen, he did not explain, he just said this is the way we are doing it.
You pay these people (programmers) a lot of money, you should also have the expectation that they know what they are doing and talking about. I don't care if you work with teenagers in fast food or executives, if you respect the people under you and expect excellence, most people will give you excellence, programmers are the same.
Needless to say I am looking for a new job (as are many others). It has just gone down hill since then. We are using architecture that goes against everything they teach in school and practices in place across the software industry. It is not that it is cutting edge and new, it is that it goes against years of experience and collective learning. The fearless leader is once again saying I don't care what other programmers think, I know my way is right. (Oddly he is an English major, so that could be part of the problem.)
Personally I hate looking for work, when I worked for a decent company that got sold, all of the other programmers quit except me and my boss. We worked long hard hours to keep things going, train new staff, and I loved every minute of it.
Respect is why someone can put up with the stressful long hours of one job, and then have a hard time at a job that guarantees they will not have to work extra hours (salary means you don't want to work the hours unless you have too). There is no respect on my team, the team lead does not listen to the team, which is a very bad way to manage people. I am not going to hold out for a change, but perhaps someone like this guy will read this and realize perhaps they should check themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment